PA RT N E RS
The Sochi Olympic season provided a remarkable opportunity for leveraging athletic success to gain
exposure of the USSA’s sports and athletes through strategic outreach with corporate partners and
creative use of broadcast channels to showcase the USSA’s major events. That coordinated outreach
earned the USSA a first-ever nomination by Sports Business Journal as “Team of the Year” for its work in
developing business partnerships to take advantage of the Olympic year.
USSA Corporate Partner Highlights
• Achieved historic television ratings growth with over 50 hours of broadcast television from the 25 World Cup and
Olympic Qualification events, including 20 million viewers in America – a 20% increase – as well as 60 million worldwide.
• Substantial revenue growth through new long term partnerships led by new deals from Bose, Chobani, and Liberty Mutual.
• Renewed merchandise efforts with two new licensees with Olympic ties that increased revenues and distribution at major
• Nine USSA athletes featured in 12 national branding campaigns that ran both during Olympic coverage but also across
major broadcast and cable programming culminating with the Visa women’s ski jumping spot debuting during the NFC
Championship Game – resulting in millions of additional Olympic impressions.
• Finalized innovative partnership to purchase 2015 and 2017 FIS Alpine and Nordic World Championships domestic broadcast
rights, resulting in five-year NBC renewal that will net the USSA over $7 million through 2019. Media renewal will also see
major increases in coverage with a 30% increase in television hours on NBC and NBCSN.
• Partnered with NBC, NBCSN, and Universal Sports to create over 25 hours of broadcast coverage from Vail/Beaver Creek
World Championships in 2015, including live coverage on both television and online, of every event for the first time.
• Broke television viewership records with over 25 million U.S. viewers, including coverage every weekend from November
until the Olympics on NBC and NBCSN, telling the story of Olympic selection and activating USSA partnerships.
• Capitalized on the USSA PR team’s Managing Victory program to network athletes with NBC and USOC resulting in 18
primetime profiles during NBC’s Olympic coverage, helping brand our sport heroes to the 242 million Americans who
• Partnered with Gannett/USA Today Sports to create “Sochi Studio”, producing over 20 exclusive in-games features for